3/8/13

Free Sewing Tutorial || Dog Waste Bag Holder (With Treat Pocket)


That's a nice way to put it, isn't it? Dog waste. Picking up dog poop with your hands may be one of the grosser parts of have a dog, so I figured that I should at least have a pretty case to put the bags in. And I've been really into creating sewing tutorials lately (I've been steadily adding products to my tutorial shop). So I decided to share this project with you, and I'm offering it to you for free as a little thank you for reading Design Fixation!

The best part about this fabric holder is that there is a secret treat pocket hidden on the side. Your dog will thank you for including that detail to your case. And it's a quick project too; you'll have this easy DIY project done in less than an hour.


Here's what you'll need for the project:

    •  1/4 yard of cotton fabric
    •  A roll of dog waste bags
    •  8" narrow elastic (1/4" wide is best)
    •  3" velcro
    •  1 metal snap
    •  6" ribbon
    •  matching thread
    •  scissors 
    •  sewing machine



1. Cut out a rectangle that is 6"x10"

2. Separate the velcro, and pin each piece 3" from the edges, as shown above. Sew down the middle of each piece to attach.


3. Fold in half with right sides together. You should be able to feel the velcro in between the fabric running vertically. Sew a 2" long seam running from the top edge partway down (to where the velcro starts). Place the seam 2" from the fold on the right hand side. The velcro should be just to the right of the seam, so that when you open it up, it will form a small pocket with the velcro hidden on the inside.  Do the same at the bottom of the folded fabric.

4. It should now look like the image shown above.

5. Test out your pocket by sticking your fingers inside. The velcro should wrap around your fingers.

6. This is what it looks like with the fabric opened up.


7. Flip it back over and fold the top edge down (about one inch) and sew with a half inch seam allowance.

8. Do the same along the bottom edge. These will act as casing tubes for the elastic.

9. Now cut your elastic in half and insert one piece through the casing on the top. Sew along each end to keep it in place. Repeat the process along the bottom edge with the other piece of elastic.

10. Turn it inside out and sew from the top of the raw edge down the edge about 1" (using a quarter inch seam allowance). Do the same on the bottom. This will leave a 1.5" slit in between for the bags to be pulled through. Flip it right side out. Feel free to finish the slit with a hand sewn seam.

11. (Not shown) Lastly, attach a metal snap to the ribbon forming a loop that is large enough to fit around your dog's leash. Sew the other end of the ribbon to one end of the case. And that's all, you're finished!


Stretch the elastic on one end and insert the roll of bags. Fill the pocket with treats and you're ready for a walk.


Charlie seems to really like his new poop bag holder! This might have something to do with the secret treat pocket....


If you liked this tutorial, you might love this one. Thanks for dropping by!

xo,
Faith
{Design Fixation}

8 comments:

  1. This is the best idea yet to help dog walkers! I have needed something such as this. Anyone, anywhere needs this. I think you need to copyright it and market it. You'll make a ton of money!

    Thank you very much,
    Terrie, Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Terrie, glad you like my idea! Maybe I will market it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sack holder! i am exploitation Feebly, and you are already in it as a result of I migrated all of my feeds from Google Reader. it's formally converted to the Feebly Cloud, thus i am sensible to travel.handbag holder As for foundation piecing, I like employing a deep-freeze paper technique as a result of I will recycle the foundations as several as 10 times.You square measure thus inventive and genius! These are thus cute! it had been nice looking with you a little. i am glad you were ready to build it down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, for some reason I am struggling with this tutorial carnt seem to sew in the correct places I don't find the pictures very clear could you help at all,sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anonymous - Which steps are you having a hard time with? If you can send specific questions about where you're having trouble, I'll do my best to help!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love all the dog ideas....looking for a diaper pattern for a chi cha
    any help would be appreciated.

    Thank you, Dee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this but I am struggling from Step 3. It says to fold in half. From picture I want to say that it is to fold in half right sides together. I am not sure where to sew. I personally need a bigger picture (getting older and need bigger pictures I think). If you could help I would appreciate it.
    Thank You,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet,

      Yes, you would fold it in half with right sides together. I'll have to add that in. You can feel the velcro through the fabric, and both pieces should be on top of each other, going vertically. You will sew a seam from the top edge down to that velcro, and then another seam from the bottom of the velcro down to the bottom of the fabric. If you look at photo 6, that's what it should look like after you open it up. Also if you click on the photos, you can see a larger view... that might help!

      Delete

Have something to add? Questions? Comments? I encourage creative conversation here at Design Fixation!

Related Posts with Thumbnails