That's a nice way to put it, isn't it? Dog waste. Picking up dog poop with your hands may be one of the grosser parts of have a dog, so I figured that I should at least have a pretty case to put the bags in. And I've been really into creating sewing tutorials lately (I've been steadily adding products to my tutorial shop). So I decided to share this project with you, and I'm offering it to you for free as a little thank you for reading Design Fixation!
The best part about this fabric holder is that there is a secret treat pocket hidden on the side. Your dog will thank you for including that detail to your case. And it's a quick project too; you'll have this easy DIY project done in less than an hour.
Here's what you'll need for the project:
- 1/4 yard of cotton fabric
- A roll of dog waste bags
- 8" narrow elastic (1/4" wide is best)
- 3" velcro
- 1 metal snap
- 6" ribbon
- matching thread
- sewing machine
1. Cut out a rectangle that is 6"x10"
2. Separate the velcro, and pin each piece 3" from the edges, as shown above. Sew down the middle of each piece to attach.
3. Fold in half and sew a 2" long seam from the top edge partway down toward the bottom. Place it 2" from the fold on the right hand side. The velcro should be just to the right of the seam, so that when you open it up, it will form a small pocket with the velcro hidden on the inside. Do the same at the bottom of the folded fabric.
4. It should now look like the image shown above.
5. Test out your pocket by sticking your fingers inside. The velcro should wrap around your fingers.
6. This is what it looks like with the fabric opened up.
7. Flip it back over and fold the top edge down (about one inch) and sew with a half inch seam allowance.
8. Do the same along the bottom edge. These will act as casing tubes for the elastic.
9. Now cut your elastic in half and insert one piece through the casing on the top. Sew along each end to keep it in place. Repeat the process along the bottom edge with the other piece of elastic.
10. Turn it inside out and sew from the top of the raw edge down the edge about 1" (using a quarter inch seam allowance). Do the same on the bottom. This will leave a 1.5" slit in between for the bags to be pulled through. Flip it right side out. Feel free to finish the slit with a hand sewn seam.
11. (Not shown) Lastly, attach a metal snap to the ribbon forming a loop that is large enough to fit around your dog's leash. Sew the other end of the ribbon to one end of the case. And that's all, you're finished!
Stretch the elastic on one end and insert the roll of bags. Fill the pocket with treats and you're ready for a walk.
Charlie seems to really like his new poop bag holder! This might have something to do with the secret treat pocket....
If you liked this tutorial, you might love this one. Thanks for dropping by!